01 April, 2015

Asura's Advocate



Being born into a classic Hindu family, I’ve been acquainted with astrology ever since I could remember. As I grew older, the ritual belief started manifesting itself in me as a stubborn interest to discover the unknown.  When people ask me whether I believe in “Astrology for the Crazy”, I give a blank nod. Well, the fact is, I believe in the science, only when it predicts good things for me. So, I’d rather have you call it – “Astrology for the Opportunists”.

Anyway, today being the first day and post of the April #A-ZChallenge, my post is going to be about a character I discovered and grew close to through my keen oddity involving astrology.

An ‘Asura’ – is characterized by aggression, and vehement passion for power and life. He lives a day at a time, and lives it to the fullest.

From a very young age, us Indian kids have listened to our grandmothers endlessly recite tales of various asuras being defeated till the ground beneath their feet hauled them into ‘Naraka’. However, I had a very different taste when it came to mythologies; I went for the brave than the noble. And hence, ended up falling in love with Durga and Shiva for their braveries. People with valiant and fearless personalities were always among my favorites than the meek Devas who sat in Devaloka immersed in the immaterial gossip.
PC: http://blog.ninapaley.com/

It is significant that it was not for their sins that the anti-gods had to be destroyed but because of their power, their virtue, their knowledge, which threatened that of gods” – Alain Danielou ( Via Wiki)

Here are some of the random things about Asuras that amaze me:

1.       They were marked by passion and determination. The gods were terrified of their iron-willed personalities. In many of the stories I've come across – most of the Asuras meditated in excruciating physical conditions for years, till the gods gave them an apparition and granted them wishes.

2.       Ravana - One of the most popular Asura of our times. The ten headed physical description of Ravana is often drawn from the fact that, his acumen was unparalleled during those times i.e. his intelligence and capacity could beat that of ten ordinary men taken together.

3.       Humility and Dedication - Some of the stories seem to lay emphasis on the fact that Ravana waited all his life to die in the hands of Rama, who was a godly incarnation, with the ulterior motive of attaining ‘Moksha’.

4.       Creativity – Most of the Asuras were in possession of some endearing creative skills. If you take Ravana himself for instance, who was an adept instrumentalist – he played the Veena like nobody’s business.

5.       Despite the wrath, Asuras were fond of forging great friendships and being loyal to their kins.

6.       I often end up comparing Asuras to Lord Shiva – the strikingly similar appearances and habits, the unkempt hair and dressing, the heroic valor and the intense personalities who dare to go beyond what’s defined. 

7.       This may sound slightly (read: majorly) dim, but, I had a fond liking for the kind of weapons the Asuras crafted, in comparison to the other demi-gods.And this judgement of mine, comes from watching too much of the shoddy mythical TV shows of the 90's.

8.       Great warriors – The word Asura closely resembles ‘Ahura’ which is the Persian expression for a great warrior.

Perhaps, this is me being a believer of “Astrology for the Opportunist”, since I was born under the Asura Gana as per my Indian horoscope. However, it is a matter of perception, whether ones liking bent towards the brave one fighting for himself, or belonged to the successful and reticent, who maintained double standards. For years I questioned the perception I was born into, and finally put a finger on the fact that, maybe Asuras aren’t as bad as they were portrayed to be!

While researching for this piece, I came across a wonderful write-up on similar lines, some facts from which I have quoted in this article too - http://vak1969.com/tag/asuras/

No comments :

Post a Comment